Saturday, June 7, 2008

Quilting Tips - Cotton vs Polyester Threads

I learned a valuable tip today from a fellow quilter and wanted to share.

I had always heard that using 100% cotton thread was best when quilting but never asked why. I learned today that using polyester threads with 100% cotton fabrics could actually tear your fabric since it is stronger than the fabric itself!

Now the only other problem is finding 100% cotton thread these days it seems. I have discovered that Coats & Clark threads are no longer being sold at any of my local retail stores and they are actually changing their thread fiber contents as well.

I hope you find this tip helpful. Quilting is such a time consuming craft/art, it would be terrible to ruin an heirloom because we used the wrong thread.

Happy quilting!

2 comments:

Toni said...

I use Guittermans or Star. I hope those don't change to partial cotton content, I am an all cotton gal!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I had been wondering why the difference was so important. Now I know. :>)