Saturday, January 24, 2009

Online Venues - Where Do You Sell?

I'm just sitting here re-evaluating all the online venues available today for crafters and suppliers.

I originally started on eBay and was doing very well, even made Power Seller. Well, over the past 6 months or more, eBay seems to be fizzling out with all their fees, changes and restrictions. In return, I, along with many others, have shut our little red doors.

I have done decent over the past year on Etsy on my handcrafted items but not sold as much fabrics as I had on eBay. There is tons of traffic but at times I wonder if it is just other crafters seeking ideas. Not a problem though, that's how we all get inspiration. I love the fact that all the items are handcrafted and not mass produced.

I'm dabbling on Artfire and Bonanzle right now but not sure how those will pan out yet.

In the long run, is it better to just have your own site? Or does it depend on just good marketing regardless of where you sell?

I'd love to hear comments on your experiences.

1 comment:

sewfunquilts said...

Am wondering the same things, and only using Ebay at the moment and having a few sales. I think it depends on the items, marketing them, the listing themselves, & the key words are super important.

Keep us up to date & posted on this subject...and thanks.