Friday, December 19, 2008

My Grandparents


Well, what can I say about my grandparents? There is plenty but where do I start?

They grew up as neighbors in WV in the early 1900's; born in 1912 and 1917. My grandmother laughs when we talk about it because she says she didn't like him at all growing up. Somewhere along the way, fate took over and they wed in 1945 on Christmas Eve. This year would be their 63rd wedding anniversary. While my dear Grandmother is still alive at a young 91 years old, sadly, my grandfather passed away in the fall of 1991 after suffering from a stroke a few years earlier.

They had four wonderful boys together; of course, one being my dad. As a child, I was lucky enough to live right next door to my grandparents from the age of 10 to 16 and they played a huge role, I think, in the person I grew up to be today.

I always think of them but with the holidays fast approaching, I am missing them more and more each day. My family lives all across the U.S. and we rarely see each other these days. The days of a crammed house full of family and friends for the holidays or just a special weekend get together are long past it seems. But the fond memories of the silly jokes, warm hugs, and laughter will forever be in my heart.


No comments: