Thursday, October 2, 2008

I joined the "Army" - will you?

This week the Today Show had a story of a new campaign to fight against and find a cure for breast cancer; Army of Women.

This disease is still not fully understood despite all the research. Statistics show that 70% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history.

Here is one paragraph from the groups website -

The Army is dedicated to representing ALL women in research so that the research results will apply to ALL women. This means we need you to help us recruit women of all ages, ethnicities, sizes, and shapes. We need women who have had breast cancer and women who have not. We need African American women, Asian women, white women, Latinas, and lesbians to be involved.

I joined this army today. I have a strong family history - if you scroll down on my blog page, you'll see my dedication to my late mother. As a healthy adult without the disease but with a strong family history, I hope that I am selected in an effort to study this disease and maybe even find a cure.

Folks, I hate to say but breast cancer is NOT just a woman's disease either. Men can get breast cancer too.

Here is the link to the Army of Women website for more information on joining this army.

http://www.armyofwomen.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great initiative. 30k women have joined already! WOW!